Proper truck UREA system maintenance is essential to extend the life of the tank in which it is stored. It is also important to achieve the primary goal of reducing NOx emissions.
In this guide, we are going to take advantage of the experience we have at American Petroleum as experts in the sale of lubricants in Puerto Rico to explain how to perform this maintenance.
Truck UREA system maintenance
First, it is important to clarify that there are two different elements of the UREA system in diesel engines to pay special attention to: the pump and the case assembly. Let us look at these parts separately.
Maintenance of the UREA pump
The UREA pump is equipped with a main filter, an inlet filter and a return filter. The truck UREA system maintenance of a standard vehicle concerning the pump consists of the replacement of the pump every 60,000 kilometers or 6 months.
In addition, if the application environment is harsh and the aqueous UREA solution is heavily contaminated, it should be replaced according to actual conditions.
Before replacement, the outer surface of the UREA pump should be cleaned and the outside should be prevented from contaminating the filter element area during the installation process. When tightening the filter, a torque of 20 Nm plus 5 Nm is used.
Maintenance of the UREA housing assembly
The truck UREA system maintenance cycle, in terms of the tank, is the same as that of the UREA pump.
When replacing the main filter element of the UREA pump, the inside of the UREA tank should also be cleaned and the integrity of the lower UREA tank sensor screen should be checked. If there is any malfunction, it should be replaced immediately.
Methods of truck UREA system maintenance regarding how it is assembled
- Unscrew the drain plug with a wrench and drain the inside of the UREA tank.
- Remove the UREA fluid sensor to check if the lower filter is in good condition. Use clean tap water with some pressure to penetrate the sensor into the UREA housing and flush more than 2 times from top to bottom.
- Use some clean tap water pressure to flush the drain plug of the UREA tank more than 2 times.
- Spray more than 5 liters of clean water from the UREA tank sensor mounting hole into the UREA tank and allow fresh water to flow from the flood plug. After the water has completely drained, flush the box twice.
- Retighten the UREA tank drain plug and install the sensor.